Best Flushable Wipes
We humans have come a pretty long way from cleaning our bottoms with a communal sponge. Yuck, we're not kidding; that's how the ancient Romans were known to do it. We got the humble toilet paper in the 15th century, and for those of us who prefer to be daisy fresh after a visit to the water closet: the flushable wipe was invented in the 1990s.
But what is the best flushable wipe, and are flushable wipes as flushable as they say on the packet? Read on to discover all you ever wanted and needed to know for the good of your pipes and septic tank!
The best flushable wet wipes have a few things in common:
- Biodegradable: this means that the moist toilet paper in question will decompose through bacteria and compost, effectively avoiding pollution.
- Hypoallergenic: the skin on your behind is pretty picky, and it deserves the very best. Bonus if it's pH-balanced and alcohol-free. Interestingly the pH level of your butt is quite alkaline. The more you know!
- Gently Fragranced: any flushable wipe that makes you smell like a bouquet of roses probably isn't best for your skin. See the previous point in regards to being gentle. Save the fragrance for your pulse points.
Important: Even the most eco-friendly flushable wipe isn't entirely safe to flush down the toilet. We're sorry to break it to you. Any plumber will tell you: the packaging is lying to you. Lies on the packaging of a product? Next, we'll let you know that your friendly neighborhood coffee stand doesn't sell the best coffee in the world.
So, Are Flushable Wipes Really Flushable?
The simple answer: no. At the very best: maybe, but you're playing a dangerous game with your plumbing or septic system and the environment. We'll break it down for you.
- Flushable Wipes Break Down Slowly: while many of these wipes eventually break down and are specially marketed as biodegradable, they do so very slowly compared to regular toilet paper. Imagine the build-up in your pipes and the plumbing bill that comes with it.
- The Ragging Effect: ragging is the process of wet wipes getting stuck in your drains alongside hair, cotton buds, and other debris. The result is clogs and slow draining toilet bowls. An unideal solution that will have you raging and speed-dialing the plumber.
- Statistic Time: the UK recently announced that wet wipes account for 93% of the material blocking up the sewers of the United Kingdom. Ready to ban flushable wipes from your bathroom?
Can You Use Flushable Wipes with a Septic Tank?
The answer is a resounding: NO! And, it's for the same reasons that wet wipes are not flushable in plumbing and sewers, they simply don't breakdown enough or fast enough for real life conditions in sewers or septic systems.
We've even written an article for you all about it. Have a look here and think of us next time you push the lever on your toilet.
How to Dispose of Flushable Wipes?
Are you feeling a little out of sorts about the fact that you cannot flush your so-called flushable wet wipes? We understand, and it's frustrating and annoying. Instead of flushing these wipes, you could locate the nearest trash can and place that poop covered wipe into said trash can where it may sit until the next trash pick up day.
What? Throwing your used, wet wipe into the trash can feels unhygienic and evokes disgust? It takes away convenience and hygiene all in one fell swoop? Yep. Agreed.
Thankfully, you're in luck because Pristine is here to save the day by providing you with the best flushable wet wipe alternative on the market.
What To Use Instead of Flushable Wipes?
You love the clean feeling of a wet wipe, but you're not prepared for disgusting disposal methods or complications of installing a bidet? Same here.
Pristine turns every kind of toilet paper, from the one-ply monstrosity at a gas station to the luxurious four-ply, into a flushable wet wipe alternative. Spray 3-5 times onto folded toilet paper and use the same way you would any wet wipe.
What's so great about Pristine Toilet Paper Spray? We're so glad you asked:
- Hygienic Feeling: adding a few sprays of Pristine to your lack luster dry toilet paper allows the paper to glide across the necessary area and leaves you feeling refreshed and clean.
- Naturally and Subtly Scented: Pristine Sprays are naturally scented with a dab of pure essential oils; no overpowering or unnatural fragrances. For the more sensitive skin there is also a fragrance-free spray.
- Clean Ingredients: no harsh ingredients in sight and pH balanced to your backside.
- 100% Flushable and Sewer and Septic Safe: we really mean it. Since Pristine works in conjunction with regular toilet paper, you never have to worry about embarrassing and costly toilet clogs again. If you can convince the members of your family to please stop flushing other unflushable things.
- Planet Friendly: Whenever you use one of the Pristine Cleansing Sprays, the earth thanks you. The ingredients are biodegradable and won't create fatbergs or cause sewage spills that can potentially endanger public health and natural bodies of water.
More About The Company
Pristine started as a personal mission of the two founders to create a product that is better for the plumbing, the planet, and the posterior, and to solve the problems they were both experiencing with wet wipes. They soon realized that these problems with wet wipes were further reaching than their own behinds. Their personal quest became their company mission to curate cleaner products, work towards creating a cleaner planet, and, well, clean up your posteriors.
Got a question about Pristine and how to keep your butt pristine? Get in touch today. We're happy to help.
Pristine takes pride in keeping everyone's behind happy. Their motto is "we've got your back...side." (Pardon all the bum puns.)